Help Yourself Feel Better! The end of your pregnancy
In pregnancy, sometimes we feel alone as if no one understands what we are going through. Here are some ideas that can help.
Your support system
- Ask your partner or family member to come with you to at least one of your doctor visits
- Bring your partner/ family member to ultrasound visits
- Let your partner feel the baby move
- Have your partner/ family member be your coach in labor
- Share information and exercises with your partner and family members
- Exchange back rubs, with attention to your lower back
- Go for walks with friends, family, or your partner
- Be sensitive to your partner’s feelings
- Choose quiet times to express your feelings
- Do things together to nurture your relationship
- Relaxation breathing: take a slow deep breath counting to 4 as you breathe in. Your belly will expand like a balloon.
- Exhale through your mouth with a sigh or say “ahh” as the air leaves. Let the stress leave your body.
- Concentrate on letting your whole body relax
- Practice relaxation breathing
- Your growing belly may affect your sleeping positions
- Try lying on your side (this also helps with blood flow to the baby)
- Try placing a pillow between your legs while hugging a pillow for more support
- Try a body pillow for extra support while you are lying down
If you’re pregnant and would like to attend classes to prepare for birth and parenting OR if you’d like a home visit to discuss your pregnancy, birth and baby, please call us at United Way of Santa Fe County. We’re here to help! 505-819-5483 All services are free.